Monday, May 6, 2013

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster 
 

I love this book.  Milo is a child who doesn't really enjoy anything.  He just kind of goes through life.  One day he receives a package in his room that is marked "the phantom tollbooth."  This package transports him into another world.  This is the plot of the book.  

 I had actually read this before but I cheated and put it on the list anyway.  It seemed really appropriate at the time.  

It seemed appropriate because of the only part I had remembered from when I read it as a childThere is an episode about "jumping to conclusions" that occurs about half-way through that is pretty typical of how this book plays with words and creatively teaches to its younger audience (it is a children's book).  I felt I could benefit from this playful, frank way of understanding things now.  And I think it worked. 

I was looking for something fun to read as part of this book challenge.  In college I was an English major and all I did was read but in truth I stopped liking it.  And part of my doing this book challenge was to make it interesting to me again.  This book was all about that for me.  

It was a good time. :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment